In the winter of 1906 three friends got together and began a movement to organize a Baptist church in East Rome. They were Miss Sudie Pollard, Miss Alice Blackwelder, and Mr. J. N. Crozier. The church was constituted on February 6, 1907 with fourteen charter members. The first name was “East Side Baptist Church”, but soon changed to “Maple Street Baptist Church”.
In 1945 new plans were drawn for a new building to be located on Second Avenue. Even though the church was without a pastor in 1952, construction began on the building in the fall of 1952. Services were held in the chapel in November 1953 with Rev. B. A. Winburn as pastor. The final move was made from Maple Street in January 1954. The growth was such that in February 1955 it became necessary to begin having two services each Sunday morning to accommodate the number of people wanting to attend worship service. April 1956 saw the construction of the paved parking lot on the east side of the church property. A pastorium was purchased at 313 East Eighth Street in August 1959. In September 1965, the church authorized the construction of the new sanctuary. Work on the new building began immediately. A new pastorium was purchased in June 1966 at 26 Riverview Road. The church took a significant step in the unification and efficiency of its ministry by adopting a mid-week family night and supper program in September 1966.A milestone was reached when the church celebrated on November 23, 1966 the over-subscription of the 1967 budget. This was the first time in church history that the budget had been subscribed.
The elevator fund was begun in1991 by Mrs. Delle Jones and her daughter, “Boots”, with the planting of a turnip green patch and faith.
There have been 18 pastors of the Second Avenue Baptist Church: