History

OUR HISTORY
In the winter of 1906 three friends got together and began a movement to organize a Baptist church in East Rome. They were Miss Sudie Pollard, Miss Alice Blackwelder, and Mr. J. N. Crozier. The church was constituted on February 6, 1907 with fourteen charter members.

 

The first name was “East Side Baptist Church”, but soon changed to “Maple Street Baptist Church”. In 1945 new plans were drawn for a new building to be located on Second Avenue. Even though the church was without a pastor in 1952, construction began on the building in the fall of 1952. Services were held in the chapel in November 1953 with Rev. B. A. Winburn as pastor.  

The final move was made from Maple Street in January 1954. The growth was such that in February 1955 it became necessary to begin having two services each Sunday morning to accommodate the number of people wanting to attend worship service.

April 1956 saw the construction of the paved parking lot on the east side of the church property. A pastorium was purchased at 313 East Eighth Street in August 1959.

In September 1965, the church authorized the construction of the new sanctuary. Work on the new building began immediately. A new pastorium was purchased in June 1966 at 26 Riverview Road.

The church took a significant step in the unification and efficiency of its ministry by adopting a mid-week family night and supper program in September 1966. 

A milestone was reached when the church celebrated on November 23, 1966 the over-subscription of the 1967 budget. This was the first time in church history that the budget had been subscribed.

 

The elevator fund was begun in 1991 by Mrs. Delle Jones and her daughter, “Boots”, with the planting of a turnip green patch and faith.

 

There have been 18 pastors of the Second Avenue Baptist Church 

 

Rev. S. B. King 

1907-1908

 

Rev. I. R. Walker    

1909-1911

 

Rev. J. W. Kesterson 

1912-1915

 

Rev. H. F. Joyner  

1915-1932

 

Rev. J. W. Southerland

1932-1936

 

Rev. Leslie Garrison

1936-1940

 

Rev. L. L. Hurley

1940-1945

 

Rev. B. Carroll Carter

1945-1952

 

Rev. B. A. Winburn 

1953-1957

 

Rev. Girod H. Cole, Jr. 

1957-1960

 

Rev. Fred E. White                

1960-1965

 

Rev. Jay T. Cosmato 

1966-1968

 

Rev. Wallace McGill

1969-1976

 

Dr. Luke Smith

1975-1976

 

Rev. Haywood Day

1976-1982

 

Dr. Lamar Barden

1982-1989

 

Dr. Ken Ross

1989-2001

 

Rev. Monty Stallins               

2003- Present